Elrose is a Saskatchewan town of about 450 residents (2006) in the Rural Municipality of Monet 257. Elrose is located south of Rosetown and north of Swift Current. Access to the town is provided by Highways 4 and 44.
The Elrose branch #206 of the Canadian Legion British Empire Service (BESL) was formed initially in 1936 by veterans, and their Legion Hall was erected in 1941. Meetings were held by veterans from Elrose, and surrounding villages of Hughton, Forgan, Wartime, Greenan, and Sanctuary. The branch erected the cenotaph in 1946 in honour of the 24 men who fell in the two Great Wars. The legion also cares for the veteran’s area in the Elrose cemetery, and has erected Red Maple Leaves fashioned from metal over the tombstones. The branch has plans to also include pictures, archives and other artifacts at the Elrose Museum.
The War Cenotaph is inscribed with these words:
1. Elrose Up To Now page 60. s.n. Elrose, Sask. 1980
2. Prairie to Wheatfields page 75. Elrose, Saskatchewan: Elrose and District History Book Committee, 1985
3. The Royal Canadian Legon Saskatchewan Command page 111