Research revealed that in 1920, the province had planned a memorial museum to honour the citizens from the province who died serving in WWI. Plans for this building were cancelled during the late 1920’s. The Albert Street Bridge was constructed during the 1930’s and it was to be dedicated to the WWI dead. It was called the Memorial Bridge. Plans were made to have the names of the dead inscribed on plaques on the bridge. In 1987-88, the Memorial Bridge was refurbished and it was realized that there was no way all the names of the WWI war dead from the province could be attached in a fitting manner to the bridge. It then looked like the matter would again be dropped.
Phase 1 – WWI
In 1988, Capt. (Ret’d) Lloyd Jones formed a committee to create a memorial tribute to those Saskatchewan men and women who had died in World War 1 in a suitable location on the legislative grounds in Regina’s Wascana Centre. The committee looked at a number of potential sites before the present location was selected.
The committee registered as a ‘Not for Profit’ charitable organization and set about to raise funds to erect the memorial.
One of the most difficult tasks was the compilation and verification of names of the Saskatchewan war dead. This task was ongoing throughout the entire period of fund-raising and construction. The project got underway in 1988 and was dedicated by the Honorable J.E.N. Wiebe, Lieutenant Governor of the Province of Saskatchewan in November of 1995. Members of this committee were: Capt. (Ret’d) Lloyd Jones, Chairman; L/Col (Ret’d) Terry Lyons, CD, Vice-Chairman; F/L Jack Rennie, Treasurer; Mr. Lorne Harasen, Public Relations; Members: Mr. Robert Bird; Mr. Stan Bowering; Mrs. Joyce Johnson; Mrs. Merle Kennedy; Mrs. Susan Khaladkar; Mrs. Rita Lebioda; Mr. Gordon Nicholson; Mr. John Neher; Mr. Terry Sinclair; Mr. James Noble; Mr. Gordon Smith; Mrs. Rosalyn Sotkowy; Mr. Peter Matwiy. The designer was Mr. Bill Henderson.
During the next five years, there was much discussion about completing this project by adding a memorial to those Saskatchewan citizens who gave their lives in World War ll, the Korean War and during Peacetime Operations.